How to contact registrar office for weddings


Dear travellers.

Who can assist me with the details of the registrar office in Arusha where to register if you want to get married in Tanzania? Hope someone can help me out.


Answer ( 1 )


    I’m not certain what country you are citizens of, and that will make a difference. You should contact your local registration of marriage offices and they should be able to tell you what you need to do for your marriage to be recognized by your country of residence.

    This is what is said for Swiss citizens and you may be able to garner some information for yourselves from this:

    A special marriage license has to be obtained from the district registrar in Zanzibar prior to the wedding. A wedding that has taken place in Zanzibar needs to be registered in the General Registry Office of Tanzania in Dar es Salaam (RITA). For more information please contact them directly.

    The General Registrar Officer of RITA will issue an international recognised marriage certificate (“Copy of an entry in a marriage register”). Please ask for 2 certificates as one original will be sent to Switzerland for registration and cannot be returned.

    The marriage certificate has to be legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affaires in Dar es Salaam before submitting it to the Swiss Embassy.

    The marriage certificate will then be legalised by the Swiss Embassy and sent to Switzerland for registration at your place of origin. A copy of your passport and a copy of your certificate of civil status (Personenstandsausweis/certificate individuel d’état civil) will also be needed.

    Best answer

Leave an answer